We have taken a lot of time discussing the pros and cons of having seeker friendly churches. I would like to turn the whole question around a bit.
Let's assume, for the sake of this discussion, that church is for believers only. Unbelievers are welcome, of course, but in our planning etc. we don't try to cater to them, only to the needs of believers. What would/should a Sunday morning service look like? Is coffee, rock music and lack of dress code still ok?
In your mind, what does the "perfect" Sunday morning worship service look like?
Actually, what you have articulated is a key point in my theology of worship, which formed under my mentor in Cary, NC, at the then fledgling Colonial Baptist Church (www.colonial.org). Because I could carry a tune and wasn't afraid of crowds, I was tagged the worship leader. Naturally, my Southern Baptist and independent fundamental Baptist roots were showing when I began.
ReplyDeleteBoth of those theological traditions have their roots deeply planted in the soil of the Second Great Awakening and the camp meetings that carried it down the Eastern Seaboard and westward with the pioneers. So, every Sunday in these churches was a revival meeting, complete with fervent preaching, the plan of salvation, an invitation to walk the remnants of a “sawdust trail” to the altar, and 17 verses of “Just As I Am” (there are only 6 in most hymnals, so we had to go ‘round a few times.) Consequently, the big evangelistic push for the congregation said, essentially, “You get ’em here; we’ll do the rest.”
At first, I was dismayed that my pastor didn’t tack the plan of salvation to the end of his sermons and didn’t offer an invitation. So I cornered him during the week at a lunch meeting and asked him the question burning on my heart. “Don’t you believe our church should be about evangelism? How are people supposed to get saved if we don’t give them a chance?”
His answer changed my perspective on Sunday morning worship forever. He said, “Our church should be evangelizing Monday through Saturday; Sunday morning is family time.” He then called my attention to a bronze plaque by the church entrance bearing an abbreviated version of our church motto: “Equipping the saints” It’s a reference to Ephesians 4:11–13, “[God] gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fullness of Christ.”
He likened Sunday morning worship to a big family meal with extra places set for visitors. They are welcome, but the meal is for the family. We nourish, we encourage, we gain wisdom and strength, and then we carry the good news to the world the other six days.
That took some adjustment. But in time, I saw that it was a model that works. I shifted my perspective and prepared worship services to reflect this new understanding, which was not really new, but quite old. Original, in fact. He had simply recovered the historic view of worship from the rubble of the Second Great Awakening. And as he and I faithfully prepared meals for the saints (he through preaching the Word and I through planning edifying worship experiences), our numbers grew exponentially, both in terms of transferred membership and baptisms.
When you think about it, worship is indeed a lot like a big family meal. Even if visitors cannot fully appreciate all of the dishes set out on the table, they should find the enjoyment shared among the family to be irresistibly inviting.
So what should be served? I’ll answer that question with another. What does the family enjoy? Or, better, What creates the best opportunity for the gathered people to express God’s worth-ship?
Thanks for the response. As I have thought about it I can certainly accomodate a great deal of variations in style, content, and atmosphere in a Church service. The question goes deeper for me. Let me explain this way.
ReplyDeleteIn my strict church background, it was expected that we would dress up for church, putting on our Sunday best for God. If a poor family showed up, we cleaned them up and dressed them up. It never, ever occured to us to "dress down" to make the most humble Christian among us feel comfortable.
Your analogy of church being like a family meal is an excellent example of the point I am hoping to make. Would we make the guests at our meal feel uncomfortable, or would we do everything in our power to make them feel "right at home?" So, isn't coffee in the sanctuary, less stress on dress, and more "relevant" worship music?
I will answer my own question. Growing up, the place I loved at church the most was Sunday school, especially adult sunday school. Coffee in hand, we would sit around tables, someone would lead in a small teaching and the discussion would start. I have often wished that church on sunday morning was more like that. Comfortable and a place to learn, iron to sharpen iron.
Your questions at the end remain valid and useful. What dishes does the family like? Do we cater to the old folks, or do we have a little bit for everyone? Since it is a celebration we don't mind if non-relatives join us, we will simply welcome them in as one of us, hugging them and making them feel at home with us. And we will never, ever be ashamed to show our genuine love for each other in hugs and kisses (holy kiss of course). And our admiration for the Patriarch of our family, the God whom we owe everything should be something everyone can easily see and appreciate. Yeah Mark, I like this analogy a whole heck of a lot. Thanks for sharing that.