Monday, December 6, 2010

The Young Theologians

Today was our first meeting to begin discussing our reading material for the winter time we have together.

The first book by John Stott was, "Your mind matters" and it encouraged Christians to use their minds, to ask questions, to seek to apply Biblical knowledge to the world around them. In other words, thinking, using your mind involves asking questions.

When our fearless leader Paul Basden asked, "How were you raised to use your mind?" several of us replied, "To know what God said, and to obey. Questions were doubt, and doubt was wrong." For us, questions were a sign of doubt, not of critical thinking. It seems to me that I was always taught to use my mind, but I must admit that questions were frowned upon.

 Stott encourages Christians to have knowledge with zeal. Knowledge without zeal, or zeal without knowledge led to stifling the truth and hindering love. How do we grapple with keeping a balance between head knowledge and experience?

I am not completely sure of the answer but it makes me think of the difference between studying the facts and figures about the Grand Canyon without experiencing it, without standing on the rim as the sun rises, bathing the canyon walls in liquid light and actually standing there taking it all in with the wind in your face and the smell of pine, and dirt, and river in your nostrils. I don't really know how knowing all the facts and figures enhances the experience, or how the reality of the experience is enhanced by knowing facts and figures, but this I do know. When discussing the Grand Canyon with those who have seen it, and even with those who have not, the facts and figures are helpful. For one, as a reminder, a reinforcement of the splendor of the real thing. For the other, a promise of the majesty waiting.

In much the same way I cannot tell you how studying what the Bible reveals to us about God helps when we actually experience God, or how experiencing God is enhanced by knowing lots of things about God and his character. It seems to be most useful when sharing with others. I am content with this conclusion. I can talk about God, and what I learn about God, with those who are interested in God and have either experienced him or wish to. But the conversation dramatically changes once the experience occurs or we re-experience God's presence. It seems they are linked. One is not the product of the other, but is woven together like a tapestry, like the very layers in the wall of the Grand Canyon. Useless taken by itself, it is part of a whole that creates the splendor, the majesty.

The experience or knowledge of God, standing alone, are only a part of a much greater whole. True, experience reacts more powerfully on our heart and soul, but knowledge deepens our wonder, our understanding, and highlights what we have yet to comprehend. When combined, we can only stand in awe, lost in wonder and worship.

To experience God and to know him is to worship him.

No comments:

Post a Comment