Theologians can be like Astronomers. They study stuff the average person will never see and learn things that will never matter in our lives.
Astronomers seek out knowledge about planets and stars millions of miles away from us. Often what they discover or learn does not touch our everyday lives. Most of what they know (or theorize) is beyond the grasp of you and me. We are just not smart enough. And if we could understand, we would quickly learn that the gas pillars in the beautiful Eagle Nebula where astronomers believer stars are born don't really effect us. They are more than 6,500 light years away. That means that it took the light from that area 6,500 years to reach earth. http://hubblesite.org/gallery/album/pr1995044a/
Beautiful? Absolutely, the images hold my attention for hours. Useful as I walk out the door to scrape a living for me and my family? Not so much.
Theologians seek out knowledge about God and much of what they study also does not touch our everyday lives. It is the stuff of debates among Theologians. Most of what they know (or theorize) about God is beyond the grasp of you and me. And if we could understand it we might find that it is not helpful in our spiritual or daily lives.
This information might be interesting trivia, but it feeds the ego more than the soul.
What ever happened to a rabid study of the Love of God and Christ?
Ephesians 3:14 For this reason I kneel before the Father, 15 from whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name. 16 I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being, 17 so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, 18 may have power, together with all the Lord's people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, 19 and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. (TNIV)
I dare say if we strive for knowledge we will lack in love. But if we strive to know the multi-dimensions of the love of Christ, we will know this love that surpasses knowledge, and, (this is the most exciting part) we will be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. That is the knowledge we should seek.
Is it any wonder that those groups who push a hate agenda can easily quote God, but strangely leave Jesus out of it?
Do I want to be like Jesus? Then I need to study his love. Theologians, you want to know God? Search out the height, depth, width and breath of his love. Pastors, do you want a flock filled with the Spirit, examples of the indwelling Christ? Teach them love. You and I can argue all day that having the right theology about God is critical, but I often wonder if that is truly the case since we can't fully know God anyway.
For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways," declares the LORD. Isaiah 55:8 (TNIV)
If I want to truly know God, I must not stop at the Old Testament looking for descriptions of God and the corresponding proof texts. These are all well and good, but they lack relevance, they lack power. Priests, full of the knowledge of God in the OT were just as easily corrupted as the everyday person. God even told them he was sick of their mindless, empty worship and would rather they deal in justice and do the right thing, like take care of the fatherless and widows.
Jesus, who is the express image of God, reminded us of God's frustration with mindless empty devotion. It is Him I should be studying. Colossians 1:15. If I want to see the Father, I need to look very closely at Jesus.
No comments:
Post a Comment